Bitter kola (Garcinia Kola) is yet another highly nutritious nut Mother Nature has given us. Found mostly in Benin Republic and other African countries like Nigeria, Ghana, and Togo etc. People complain of its bitter nature but forget that it is the bitterness of the nut that gives it the power to work wonders. No wonder it was even rumoured that it could cure Ebola (not sure).
This tropical plant belongs to the guttiferae class which grows and thrives in moist lowland forest.
- For the Yorubas, it is popularly known as Obi Orogbo.
- For the Hausas call it Namijin – goro
- For the Igbos call it Akuilu
This nut has a strong traditional backing in Africa. No wonder the popular saying “He who brings Kola brings Life”, it is used in most traditional events. Bitter Kola otherwise known as Garcinia Kola has been used as traditional herbs by the locals for centuries to treat different kinds of disease, ailments. It has various health benefits ranging from food supplement, purifies liver, improve lung functions and lot more.
Below are the benefits of Bitter Kola1. Helpful for the eyes:According to a research conducted at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), eye drops that contain about 0.5% of garcinia kola, effectively help to lower and reduce the eye pressure when used about 2 times a day.Eye pressure leads to Glaucoma, an eye disorder if untreated lead to the damage of the optic-disc of the eye and resultant visual field which can cause blindness.
2. Serves as pain relieverOsteoarthritis is a form arthritis, affecting mainly older people. It is caused by chronic degeneration of the cartilage and synovial membrane of the joints leading to pain and stiffness. However according to recent findings, regular intake of bitter kola helps to relieve the pain in the joints, and inflammation due to the high presence of antioxidants.
3. Serves as an anti – malariaBitter kola contains anti – malaria properties such as Kolavin, Quinines, that has proved to be effective in the treatment of Malaria.
4. Detoxifies the body system:Garcinia Kola also contain anti – oxidants that fights against various toxic substances in our body. Its anti – oxidants is used to detoxify the liver, gall bladder. Oxidants in our body causes various harms and accelerates early aging.
5. Sexual StimulantGarcinia Kola also serves as sexual stimulant in Men as it increases blood flow in the genital area in men who have hardening arteries. Thus it helps increase sexual prowess in Men.
6. Enhance Immune System:We already mentioned that garcinia kola has anti – oxidant and anti – inflammatory properties and this very health promoting properties helps prevent infections of viruses, diseases. It also has the potential to cure diseases like hepatitis, staphylococcus aureus, salmonella typhi, fever and diarrhea, because its leaf contains anti –bacterial compounds.
7. Anti – poison:It is also believed to contain anti – poison substances that can inhibit substances that can get one poisoned.